Skip to main content

This tax advise is only valid within the United Kingdom.

How to Declare Your Tips to HMRC

The first step is to register with HMRC to access your Personal Tax account. Regardless of whether you need to do this to declare tips – it’s  great for anyone to do.

It lets you see everything your employers have told HMRC about your earnings as well as the tax and national insurance they’ve deducted and paid to HMRC on your behalf.


Once you have registered, you’ll be able to login and see your tax records.  To declare tips you’ve earned, choose “Pay As You Earn” and then “Check Current Tax Year”.


You’ll see what you’ve earned and tax you’ve paid in the year. To let HMRC know about your tips choose “Add missing income from another source


Choose “Current Tax Year”


Choose “Yes” next to “Do you have other income that is missing.


Choose “Tips” and fill in the amount you’ve earned in the year.


Choose “Current Tax Year.

Now, HMRC will adjust your tax code very slightly, and you’re good to go!